Honey Nut Shrikhand
- 1kg low-fat yogurt
- 6 tablespoons honey (I used manuka honey)
- 3 tablespoons of your favourite slivered nuts (I used pistachios and almonds)
- few saffron strands and crushed cardamom seeds (optional)
- Place 2 large square cheesecloths in a large bowl. Place yogurt on the cheesecloth, gather the open edges and tie them up to form a pouch. Hang this yogurt pouch from the tap over your sink to drain the liquid out into the bowl.
- Another way to drain yogurt is to place the cheesecloth in a mesh bowl/colander. Place the colander inside a large bowl. Place yogurt on the cheesecloth, gather the edges and tie a pouch. Place a heavy weight on top of the yogurt. Whatever liquid drains out will collect in the bowl below the colander and you will be spared a mess. You might need to drain the bowl from time to time.
- After 4 hours, untie the pouch and scoop the drained yogurt in to a medium bowl. Add the honey and nuts.
- If you are adding saffron and cardamom, they would go in the bowl now.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
(Source: cookrepublic.com, via aculturedcitizen)